Sunday, April 29, 2012

Let her EAT CAKE...Oh, yes.

There are really few desserts that I love more than Coconut cake.  My grandma Mamie used to make a refrigerated kind that had whipped cream frosting and after a few days, it was heaven.
But the kind I like has mucho calories and right now those are not allowed in my house.  So, I came upon a recipe with 7-up and so I thought I would give it a go.  Here is my attempt.  It is easy peasy and REALLY quite good.
Start with a white cake mix.  Any brand will do.  Mix it with a can of diet 7-up or Sprite or lemon-lime.  That's it.  REALLY.  Oh, and I dropped in a couple of drops of coconut extract in the batter.   Line your pan with PAM and then with wax paper.
 ( Bake in two small rounds or one oblong cake pan. If you do the oblong, you cut it in two for two layers....)  You will want it to release.  Bake until slightly brown on top.  Follow box directions for temp and time.
Release after it's cooled and store in fridge for a couple of hours.  This cake  is very tender and  will fall apart if handled very much.  Be very careful transporting it from the pan.
Now take a cup of light whipped topping and mix with 1/2 cup shredded coconut.  Spread on middle layer .
Then take remaining cool whip and spread on whole cake.  I used the entire small container of cool whip.


Now take 1/2 cup of coconut and press onto top and sides.  Refrigerate.  I stored mine in a tupperware container and it was good for a week.  I figure it is about 4 ppts per piece. For this small version, I divided it into 5 slices. ( I had made cupcakes also. 8.)

1 comment:

  1. I love coconut cake. This one sounds extremely simple and quick to make. Will give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete